Thursday, January 19, 2012

Thoughtlessness....probably not a word.

Yeah, I know.  That word in the title probably isn't a word.  Call me Jesse Jackson then.

I have written quite a bit since my last post.  I haven't felt that any of it has been worth putting up here though.  I am about to go lay down for a nap before work.  I am not liking that.  I feel stuck in drudgery.  I am trying to work through it mentally, and you know I am also using Zen, but I keep hitting a wall.  I am a worker bee.  A slave to a system that I do not care for.  No one listens to anything worth listening to.  Everyone is afraid of what might happen if they speak up. Those that should be spoken to are unaware and if they are aware do not care.  Paulo Freire, says:

"Indeed, the interests of the oppressors lie in "changing the consciousness
of the oppressed, not the situation which oppresses them"for the more the
oppressed can be led to adapt to that situation, the more easily they can be
dominated. "


Exactly.  Any thoughts or ideas presented those that are "in charge" are met with excuses, or in a couple cases, not even a response.  This particular individual just walked away with a blank look.  Also from the Paulo Freire article:

"When their efforts to act responsibly are frustrated, when they find themselves
unable to use their faculties, men suffer. "The suffering due to impotence
is rooted in the very fact that the human equilibrium has been disturbed."But the inability to act which causes men's anguish also causes them
to reject their impotence, by attempting
...
to
restore [their] capacity to act. But can [they], and how? One way is
to
submit to and identify with a person or group having power. By this
symbolic participation in another person's life, [men have] the illusion of
acting, when in reality [they] only submit to and become part of those
who act."

Sounds like politics too.

So at some point when a service worker of some kind doesn't seem that excited about being of service perhaps one should think of why.  We as a society usually dump on people in such professions but our society would not function without them.  Fuck it...that is all I can think of.  Or perhaps I have gone back into thoughtlessness!

Things on my mind that I cannot put words to:
Old rotten logs
Old fence lines
Dogs
Privacy
A forest somewhere
James Tate poetry

Exerpts are from Paulo Freier "The "Banking" Concept of Education.  Read it.  It will make you think.


3 comments:

  1. I think thoughtlessness is a great work, especially given the nature of our work. We do, we don't think, its common sense. Stimulating conversations are far and few between, and generally you just try to find a way to survive the next twelve hours without loosing your own mind. I will have to check out Freier,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I was in full survival mode last night, and probably will continue tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words often mesmerize me, Brian. When I read what you wrote, the Matrix Revolutions to mind:

    Agent Smith:

    Why, Mr. Anderson? Why do you do it? Why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting for something? For more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom? Or truth? Perhaps peace? Yes? No? Could it be for love? Illusions, Mr. Anderson. Vagaries of perception. The temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose. And all of them as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as love. You must be able to see it, Mr. Anderson. You must know it by now. You can't win. It's pointless to keep fighting. Why, Mr. Anderson? Why? Why do you persist?

    Neo:

    Because I choose to.


    Yep, Just keep on choosing, brother.

    ReplyDelete